Thursday, February 23, 2012

Homemade Granola & Mommy's Dream Parfaits

Good Morning World!

I am in a very good mood this morning because I started this morning off with my first of many, mommy's dream parfait!  Why is it a dream?  Because it's healthy, fast, and incredibly easy!  I made these yesterday with my little helper and when I was looking for the granola and realized we were out I figured I would just make my own!  Well, chalk that up as a double-win for me cause they both turned out AMAZING!  I eat most of my breakfasts in the car on the way to drop M off at school so this is the perfect breakfast for me to just grab and walk out the door with.  Extra bonus - it fits very neatly into my cupholder when I'm finished!!  Yes, I'm a nerd and these little things just make me so happy nowadays.  I wanted to share this recipe with all of you and I hope, Mommy, or not, that it makes your life and your mornings easier and healthier!  I also, just realized, I'm one of those explanation people that drive me crazy...oh goodness!!!!!!

ENJOY!


E "helping" Mommy by eating all of the leftover yogurt that wouldn't fit in to the jar!  YUMMY!
Healthy Homemade Granola
  • 2 Cups Regular Rolled Oats
  • 1 Cup Coarsley Chopped Nuts of Choice
  • ½ Cup Shelled Sunflower Seeds
  • ¼ Cup Steel Cut Oats
  • ½ Cup Honey
  • 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (Heated Slightly to Liquid Form)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 Cup Dried Fruit (optional)
  1. Coat a large baking dish (I used a Pyrex 9x12x2).  In a bowl combine oats, nuts, sunflower seeds, steel cut oats, and cinnamon.  In another bowl combine liquid coconut oil, honey, and vanilla extract.  Stir liquid mixture into oat mixture and then spread evenly in the prepared pan.  Bake at 300 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until light brown.  Stir mixture after 20 minutes.
  2. Remove granola from oven and spread on a large piece of foil to cool.  Add dried fruit if desired.  Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or store in freezer bags and freeze for up to 2 months).
*This recipe is incredibly flexible in terms of ingredients and the nutrition info will vary based on what you choose to use.  The nutrition facts below are based on my choices and note that the sodium values are because I used salted mixed nuts.

Calories 58, Fat 3g, Sodium 19.7mg, Carbs 9.2g, Fiber 1.2g, Sugar 2.2g, Protein 1.5g

Granola right out of the oven before I added raisins and cranberries
















To make parfaits you will need:
  • Yogurt of choice (I prefer greek for the thickness and extra protein)
  • Fruit cut into bite-sized pieces
  • Granola
  • Clean, Sterilized Pint-Sized Mason Jars
  1. Add fruit to bottom of mason jar.
  2. Top with yogurt, making sure to leave at least an inch of room at the top.
  3. Top with two tablespoons granola.
  4. Seal and put in to fridge for a quick, healthy, grab-and-go snack!
* Again, nutrition information will vary based on choice of ingredients.
Calories 190, Fat 3.3g, Sodium 83.4mg, Carbs 31.8g, Fiber 3.8g, Sugars 25.5g, Protein 16.3g



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment